Brief History of Belagavi City.
Belagavi has got special place in Karnataka as it is one of the largest district. The original name was “VENUGRAM”, gradually the name was changed to Belugram then Belugavi and finally Belagavi.It was ruled by Kadambas, Yadavas, Vijaynagar and Bahumani dynasty.Adil shahi rulers of Vijaypur, Marathas of Kolhapur and British people, hence Belagavi was ruled by many dynasties. Many people from nearby states like Maharashtra and Goa have settled here, so different cultures can be seen.
History never forgets the names of Belavadi Mallamma, Shirasangi Chennamma and Kittur Chennamma whose contribution cannot be forgotten. These are the one, who faught with Britishers. Belavadi Mallamma faught against Chatrapati Shivaji Maharaj. One of the soldier of Kittur named Amatur Shoor Ballappa killed British Collector John Thackaray on 23rd October. Hence Karnataka State Government is celebrating 23rd October as Kittur Vijayotsav day.
The battle for Independence was carried by Kittur Chennamma and Krantiveer Sangolli Rayanna and their Contribution was unforgettable. For his contribution Bangalore city Central Railway station was renamed after him in the year 2014.After 100 years of battle against Britishers there was a huge rally conducted by Congress under the leadership of Mahatma Gandhiji in the year 1924 in Belagavi.Shri Swami Vivekananda visited and stayed in Belagavi, in Ramakrishna Mission Ashram.
On the outskirts Belagavi we have huge building of Suvarna Saudha where regular sessions of Vidhana Sabha and Vidhan Parishat takes place. 2nd International Kannada Sammelan was conducted in the year 2013 successfully. Sugarcane is the main harvesting crop of Belagavi district, hence we have en-number of Sugar factories.Belagavi is famous for Organic Jaggery and Kunda.Hence it is also called as Kunda Nagari.
Copyright:- A book Vishwa Kannada Sammelan written by Shri. Y R Patil.Belagavi.
About the College
Belagavi Institute of Medical Science’s (BIMS) is located in the heart of city spread over 33.25 acres of land beside Civil Hospital which was started in the year 2005.BIMS is affiliated to RGUHS and was recognized by(National Medical Council of India). Initially for 100 seats and it was increased to 150 seats in the year 2017.
More than 11 Departments have Post Graduate seats. It also has ANM, GNM, B.Sc Nursing and Paramedical Courses . ShushruthaBoys Hostel and Chetana Girls hostel are available with good facilities.(Indoor games). More than 1000 MBBS graduates and 100 PG students have already completed their courses.
College also has well equipped central library, text books and reference books. Digital library caters online journals and books (through Helinet by RGUHS). BIMS has qualified teachers who are responsible for better results in Under graduate and Post graduate examinations where many students have secured University ranks.
In the year 2020 Out Look Magazine tooka Survey of all Government Medical Institutes of the country where BIMS stands at 12th position.
BIMS faculty are involved in Research activities sanctioned either by RGUHS or ICMR . Even Under- graduate students are involved in research activities.BIMS has taken a big leap towards success sincein its inception.